OUR SPECIAL KIDS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUPPORT FOR PARENTS ,CARERS OR ANYBODY WITH SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN

Homepage 2GalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Project Lifesaver
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 pm by Debbie Lou

» Hello Everyone
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 12:31 pm by Debbie Lou

» If I'm lucky.......
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 7:44 pm by saved_by_grace

» Medication
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 11:53 pm by saved_by_grace

» Need some advice
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 11:42 pm by saved_by_grace

» Just Wondering.......
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:54 pm by saved_by_grace

» autism unnoticed
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:25 pm by saved_by_grace

» Welcome along Donna
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 2:54 am by Debbie Lou

» Welcome along Angie
autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 am by Debbie Lou

autism unnoticed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Debbie Lou
Admin
Admin
Debbie Lou

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2007-05-20

autism unnoticed Empty
PostSubject: autism unnoticed   autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:01 am

Many Children With Autistic Traits Go Unnoticed

autism unnoticed Rate Featured Article
Main Category: Autism
Also Included In: Article Date: 21 Jan 2009 - 8:00 PST

UK researchers studying a large population of children concluded that many children have a measurable lack of social and communication skills that is not severe enough to meet the clinical criteria for autistic spectrum disorder (ASD), but can nevertheless affect their adjustment and behaviour at school. They also found that unlike boys, girls with above average verbal IQ were less likely to be hampered by such deficits.

The study was the work of Dr David Skuse, professor and head of the Behavioural and Brain Sciences Unit at the Institute of Child Health, University College, London, and colleagues, and is published in the February issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.

Research has already established there are a lot more school age children with mild but measurable autistic traits or "social communicative deficits" than there are children clinically diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder (ASD). But what was not yet clear was how many such children there might be and how possessing such deficits might hamper their development and adjustment.

For the study, Skuse and colleagues asked the parents of over 8,000 children to fill in a Social and Communication Disorders Checklist about their child. The parents and children were already taking part in the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. The researchers then compared results from this parent-report checklist with independently diagnosed cases of ASD in the cohort, plus assessments of cognitive ability and teacher ratings of adaptation in the classroom.

The results showed that:

• Social and Communication Disorders Checklist scores were evenly spread throughout the population: boys had mean scores that were 30 per cent higher than girls (the higher the score, the higher the degree of social communication impairment).
  • Impairment measured on this Checklist was linked with functional impairment at school, and particularly with hyperactivity and conduct disorders.
  • Girls with higher verbal IQ appeared to be protected against such impairment, across the range of abilities, but not boys.
The authors concluded that that measurable deficits in social and communication skills in boys and girls social communicative deficits are significantly linked to behavioural adjustment at school, perhaps to the point of being predictive. Also, the high prevalence of such deficits in the general population emphasized:

"The importance of measuring such traits among clinically referred children who do not meet diagnostic ASD criteria," wrote the authors.

"Above-average verbal IQ seems to confer protection against social communication impairments in female subjects but not in male subjects," they added.

According to a BBC report, Skuse told the media that their study did not undermine the impact of severe autism.

"What this does suggest is that drawing a dividing line between those with autism and the rest of the population involves taking an arbitrary decision," said Skuse, explaining that professionals who work with children should be aware that there are kids who don't have autism but may have higher levels of autistic traits, and this finding suggests they could be more likely to experience behavioural and development problems.

Washington University Professor John Constantino suggested in an accompanying editorial that autism lay at the severe end of a naturally-distributed spectrum of abilities. Other scientists have also suggested this. Genes for instance, could determine whereabouts on the spectrum we are, with autism at the severe end and "sub-threshold autistic impairments" in the less severe region.

Such an understanding of childhood autism and autistic traits could help teachers and families show "more appropriate and supportive responses than typically occur when antisocial motives are presumed", wrote Constantino.

"Social Communication Competence and Functional Adaptation in a General Population of Children: Preliminary Evidence for Sex-by-Verbal IQ Differential Risk."
David Skuse, William Mandy, Colin Steer, et al.
Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry February 2009 - Volume 48 - Issue 2 - pp 128-137.
doi: 10.1097/CHI.0b013e31819176b8
Back to top Go down
https://paulsplace.forumotion.com
saved_by_grace
OUR SPECIAL KIDS MEMBER
OUR SPECIAL KIDS MEMBER

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-31

autism unnoticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: autism unnoticed   autism unnoticed Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:25 pm

When my son was 3 years old, I suspected that he was autistic. Despite being in the school system then because of his disabilities, nobody would listen. I can't tell you how upsetting for nobody to take me seriously when told them that I wanted him tested because I think he's autistic. For 3 years the school told me "He's too social to be autistic" and so I set out to prove them wrong.

I took him to a mental health center after a year of searching for an answer as to where to take him in attempt to get some answers. They said he's likely to be ADHD and possibly PDD. I had no clue what PDD is and so I typed it into my search engine and discovered that autism falls into this catagory.

Doctors in our area would not hear that I thought he may be autisic Shocked Don't they read the flyer on their walls about the signs of autism? Don't they listen when the parent says that their child is showing these signs? Instead of checking into this further, they would say he's a normal, healthy, active boy. I didn't buy ths for a moment as I knew there was somthing wrong. It took me until my son was 9 1/2 years old to get him Officially diagnosed.

I was right all along. My son is indeed autistic. Why can't they get past the misconception that autistic childrn are anti-social? My son may be social, but his social skills are not age appropriate.
Back to top Go down

autism unnoticed
Page 1 of 1